Did you know…
- 1 in 10 couples in the UK struggle to conceive
- 1 in 4 pregnancies ends in miscarriage
- 9 babies are stillborn in the UK every day
- 60,000 UK babies are born prematurely, so 7% of all births
I feel like I was one of the lucky ones. Although it took 1 miscariage and over a year of trying, I managed to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Looking at the stats lots of people are not as lucky as me.
I vividly remember losing hrs to google questioning what I’ve done to cause the miscariage, and looking for hope that I may still be pregnant despite the cramps, the blood and the loss of symptoms.
The reality is we just don’t know. This is why we chose The Genesis Research Trust to be our charity partner at this years Being Fest.
We caught up with Christobel Burns from the Genesis Research Trust to find out a little more about what they are doing to try and change some of this heart wrenching statistics.
– What is Genesis Research Trust?
Genesis Research Trust is the largest collaboration of reproductive health researchers in the UK. Our mission is to fund original research to investigate the causes of infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, and premature birth and find better ways to diagnose and treat them.
The statistics are eye opening:
– Can you give us insight into a current project?
We recently announced a major breakthrough in preventing premature birth. Around 60,000 babies are born prematurely each year – or about one in 12 of all deliveries. We believe that up to 30,000 of these births are caused by treatable infections and can be prevented.
– Those stats are scary. What action have you taken in preventing premature birth?
Our researchers have developed a three-minute test to identify whether women are suffering from infections and if they could be given antibiotics to delay birth. This will be similar to a smear test for cervical cancer and will identify harmful bacteria which could then be treated with antibiotics.
We hope that soon all women will be offered the test during routine scans in order to prevent premature births and save lives.
– What can we do to help?
There are lots of ways to get involved with our work. You can share our posts on social media, make a one-off or regular donation, volunteer or take part in a challenge event to raise funds for our work. A group of amazing ladies #TeamGenesis are about to cycle the dalmation coast fund vital medical research into infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth and premature birth.
Visit our website for more information – https://genesisresearchtrust.com/
If you are struggling with fertility can you help?
- Visit our website to ask leading fertility expert, Professor Robert Winston, questions you have regarding fertility, IVF and advice about getting pregnant. Hundreds of questions have already been answered so you might find the information you need already on our website.https://genesisresearchtrust.com/askrobert/
If you are looking for a new fitness goal, maybe something to aim for following the new baba then why not join one of their challenges and in doing so you will be able help others that are
struggling to have a baby, we see it as a win win! You can check out all the great work they are doing and their current challenges here: https://genesisresearchtrust.com